J. Walter Thompson Amsterdam wins the Grand Prix in Cyber and the Grand Prix in Creative Data
The Next Rembrandt, has to-date won a total of fifteen Cannes Lions. This evening’s awards at the Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity include two Grand Prix for Cyber and Creative Data, an Innovation Lion, three Silver Lions (one for Cyber and two for Creative Data) and a Bronze Lion for Creative Data.
The Next Rembrandt is one of 2016’s most talked about artificial intelligence meets creativity projects. A group of art historians, material researchers, data scientists and engineers – led by J. Walter Thompson Amsterdam for client ING and technical partner Microsoft – spent 18 months to take on a controversial challenge: how to teach a machine to think, act and paint like Rembrandt.
The result is The Next Rembrandt - a 3D printed painting, made solely from data of Rembrandt’s work. The painting consists of over 148 million pixels and was created using deep learning algorithms and facial recognition techniques, based on 168,263 painting fragments from Rembrandt’s oeuvre. Bringing the Master of Light and Shadow back to life to create one more painting. Only this time, data is the painter, and technology the brush.
Bas Korsten, Executive Creative Director J. Walter Thompson Amsterdam:
“I think the reason why The Next Rembrandt is winning, is because it represents questions that are on the industry’s mind at the moment: ‘Where do computers end and humanity begin?’ and ‘Do you need to have a soul to touch the soul?’ Questions about artificial intelligence meeting creativity. And in this case perhaps the highest form of creativity: fine art.”
Tjitske Benedictus, Head of Sponsoring at ING:
“We feel honoured to win this award. ING is always looking for innovations that empower people in their daily lives. This project is about bringing that innovative spirit to one of our main sponsorships, that of Dutch art and culture. We wanted to make technology relevant and learn more about one of the greatest Dutch painters of all time: Rembrandt.”
Ron Augustus, Director SMB Markets, Microsoft:
“This project illustrates the art of what is possible with intelligent data. Data is the new electricity, it has huge potential to help people and companies to achieve more. We are very proud to have been a part of The Next Rembrandt as a technology partner and congratulate the team on their recognition at the prestigious Cannes Lions Awards.”
The project has been reported on globally since launch, with over 1,400 press articles and counting, including pieces in The Guardian and The Telegraph, NPR, The New Yorker, TechCrunch, Fast Company and the Wall Street Journal, to name but a few 1.8 billion media impressions have been achieved in the first month after the unveiling of The Next Rembrandt.
Adding to the ongoing global conversation about the meaning for our industry and the future of creativity, the technology developed for The Next Rembrandt will now be developed for the restoration of damaged and partially lost masterpieces. In addition, parts of the code will be made open source to benefit future innovations.
ING - The Next Rembrandt:
- Creative Data A10. Creative Data Collection & Research
- Cyber A08. Financial Products & Services
- Innovation A02. Creative Innovation
- Outdoor F05. Digital Poster Craft
- Outdoor D04. Live Advertising & Events
- Digital Craft D03. Data Visualisation new
- Design C04. Data Visualisation
- Creative Data A01. Creative Data Enhancement
- Creative Data A04. Data Storytelling
- Direct D01. Use of Data
- Promo & Activation D02. Sponsorship & Partnership
- Cyber A11. Corporate Image
- Creative Data A05. Data Visualisation
- Digital Craft E04. Innovative Use of Technology
- Digital Craft D02. Data Storytelling new
- Creative Data A06. Data-Technology
- Digital Craft E05. Technological Achievement in Digital Craft
- Cyber H01. Integrated Multi-Platform Campaign
- Direct A08. Financial Products & Services
- Direct B04. Use of Ambient Media: Large Scale
- Cyber D04. Other Video
- Cyber G02. Spatial Tech
- Het Parool - The Full story:
- Outdoor E01
- Outdoor F02
- Outdoor F02
- Outdoor F02
J. Walter Thompson Amsterdam